It’s over. That’s all she wrote. It’s a wrap. Exit stage left. ICON 39 League of Extraordinary Gentlefen is done. And I am sad. During closing ceremonies, I’ll admit it, I found myself having to hold back tears. Either I had a fantastic time or like an overtired toddler, I was going to throw a tantrum.
As a convention attendee and a convention staff member, I’m overjoyed with the entire experience. For close to a year, I was pimping ICON 39 to my family and friends. Begging my husband to leave flyers at the local gaming stores and sharing my love for ICON here on Second Run Reviews.
At the con, I really came out of my shell. I was actively engaging with authors attempting to speak intelligently about my beloved fandoms while eating and drinking (Hi A.R. Miller!), books and when pressed why Sleeping Beauty is the best of the Disney princess movies (Hi Maria Watson!). I drug my friend’s daughter who was dress as Poison Ivy over to another convention attendee who was also dressed as Poison Ivy. I dressed up as Geek Chic 4th Doctor one night and as the TARDIS on another night. I belted out “Carry On My Wayward Son” with my friend, Erin, while sporting my Supernatural t-shirt. I was up till 2:30 AM after the time change with Jed Q. Peterson, Lyndee and others in the Consuite talking about silly and serious topics. It was amazing how on just 4 to 5 hours of sleep and a couple of cups of coffee I was ready to take on Sunday, the final day.
I become a different person when I’m with “my people.” I made some great memories and friends this past weekend. And here are just a few of my favorites.
- Handing Tara Tolly a book recommendation for Outlander and having her squeal with delight as she is a huge fan of Gabaldon’s work. What do you think, Tara, about a “Why Jamie is the ultimate book boyfriend” discussion panel at ICON 40?
- Gay Haldeman complimenting me on my TARDIS costume
- Learning that wine can make a late night reading with Dennis W. Green a little bit racy.
- Mixing up my pronoun references and creating an elaborate story about how I keep my father, who is a zombie, in a closet.
- *sings* Do you want to build a zombie?
- Dragging Tara Tolly to the Consuite to show her the “food, glorious food!”
- Having Megan Lara autograph two princess prints for my niece.
- Having Jim C. Hines sign one of his books twice.
- Attending the Con with my husband for the first time.
- My husband spending more on books at the Con than I did!
Karaoke Image Courtesy of Jed Q. Peterson.