National Library Week is April 10 through the 16. In honor of NLW, this month’s #ShelfLove Discussion post topic is a love letter to your library. You can learn more about NLW at the American Library Association website or drop by your local library, I’m sure they’d love to see you.
How I Love My Library, Let Me Count the Ways
My library is the Marion Public Library in Marion, IA (not to be confused with the Marion Public Library in Marion, IN). They are part of the Metro Library Network which gives me access to the Hiawatha Public Library and the Cedar Rapids Public Library. Check them out on Facebook and Twitter.
- I can review the entire physical collection from home in my pjs, put a physical book on hold and pick it up on my way to get coffee at Wit’s End.
- Or I can review the entire digital collection in the middle of the night (when I can’t sleep_ and download a new book in the wee hours of the morning.
- My library sponsors cool events like this…
- And this…
- And this…
- And let’s not forget this…
- My library sponsors a summer reading program for adults that involves an End of the Summer Party with giveaways, music and drinks after hours at the library.
- My library is actually THREE libraries in one! And they are great partners with the area they serve. Check out the Linn Area Reads program and the Out Loud! author series.
- My library sponsors other amazing educational events like the Urban Chickens series and hobby focused events like Adult Coloring.
- My library helps me travel the world without leaving my own backyard.
Where is your library? What special events do they sponsor? How do you get involved with your library? Why do you love your library? If they are on social media, give them a shoutout!
Quick #ShelfLove Challenge Update
I’ve hit a bit of a wall. Things have been stressful at work and I am coming home exhausted. I started listening to a book I own (Airborn by Kenneth Oppel) and then a book I’ve been waiting since December to re-read via audiobook became available so I moved from Airborn over to The Nightingale. So I’ve only finished two #ShelfLove books, and I started two others. I just keep bouncing around the books I already own and can’t seem to settle on one. So I’m tad frustrated right now.