It’s hard to believe that it’s only a week until ICON 39. Being on the planning committee has been rewarding. I’ve gotten to flex my knowledge of Twitter as ICON’s official tweeter. I’ve designed the official social media cover photos, profile photos, bookmarks and business cards. (Props to Lar deSouza for the excellent characters he created for ICON.) I’m hoping the Con Com will let me be a part of planning ICON 40. It’s been loads of unexpected fun. I should send out a big thanks to Jim C. Hines and Catherine Schaff-Stump. I know I scoffed last year when you both suggested that I help with planning ICON 39. You were right. It was fun.
So in honor of a whole weekend of geeking out next weekend, I’m letting my geek flag fly today with a list of geeky things I go gaga over. Oh, and if you are anywhere in the vicinity of eastern Iowa, you can still register!
The Top 10 Things I Geek Out About10. Disney. I’m a fan. I worked in the store for 2 years. I still meet with 2 of my former Cast Members and a Best Guest once a month for coffee. I really don’t plan to grow up.
9. HTML. I know just enough to be dangerous and effectively run this blog. But when I get to flex my skills at work, I may be a bit obnoxious about it.
8. Horses. I’ve been riding actively since 2007, but ever since I can remember I’ve always wanted a horse. So once I got to ride on a regular basis and not just dream about riding, I was definitely a goner.
7. Doctor Who. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I’m a new Whovian, but I can be quite rabid. I have Doctor Who dress socks. I have a 4th Doctor tie and will be sporting a Geek Chic 4th Doctor next weekend. I’m so into Doctor Who, my sister bought me a hand crocheted Doctor Who scarf from Etsy for my birthday.
6. Outlander. I’ve been a fan since about 2000. Jamie was probably my first official book boyfriend. And now there’s a show! *swoons* I’m just waiting for the Outlander look to start leaking into affordable fashion.
5. Books. Ever since I dropped cable, I started to inhale books. And now I have a blog, I can’t shut up about books. “HaveYouReadThisOne?No!OhYouShould.It’sAmazing!”
4. Castle. If Jamie is my book boyfriend, Rick Castle is my TV boyfriend and Kate is my TV BFF. While this show is a procedural, I love the witty banter between Castle and Beckett. Fillion is ruggedly handsome with a sense of humor. I want to get to know them both. Mostly because I want to raid Kate’s closet. I’m such a big fan that I have a Castle marathon every New Years Eve and it’s usually themed (i.e. watch all the episodes with Firefly references).
3. My family. Namely my adorable nieces and nephews. Seriously, folks, these kids are adorable. And I get them hyped up on sugar, hooked on Disney and then send them home to their parents! *sings* LET IT GO! LET IT GO!
2. My cats. My kitty-babies. I mean look at these faces. Can you resist giving them kisses and treats and snuggles? I just wish they liked my books more.
1. My husband. A fellow geek like me. I found a good one here, folks. And he’s going to ICON with me. He doesn’t make public appearances often. He’s like a celebrity. I talk about him a lot and a few people think he doesn’t exist. But he’s real and he’s coming to ICON!
So how about you? What 10 things are you passionate about? Can’t wait to see your responses!