As part of the launch tour for my new book, CROWNED, the awesome folks at the Second Run Reviews blog have asked me to list my top ten favorite quotes. As it so happens, I keep a running list of such things, so here i say latest:
10. “Dragons hoard two things—gold and virgins—and they don’t know what to do with either of them.”
This one is from Jospeh Campbell, and I just love it. I’ve met a lot of real dragons in my life who definitely adhere to this definition…which is why I love fantasy dragons who break the mold.
9. “The darkness surrounds me, it does not become me.”
This is one of my own quotes, and I say it to myself whenever someone is pressuring me to do something unethical or hurtful because it’s what everyone else is doing. My day job is in corporate America, so this comes up more than you’d expect.
8. “If you’re not falling, you’re not trying.”
I once heard a dad say this to his young son while he was teaching the kid to ski. Love it.
7. “Torture the data enough, it will confess to anything.”
Not sure where I heard this, but damn, is it ever true. Don’t believe something just because it’s in a pivot table!
6. “There are three kinds of employees: angels, butt-holes and zombies. Of these three, the most dangerous are zombies. The angels you know to promote. The butt-holes you know to fire. But the zombies? You yell at them and they move just enough to look like they’re alive, so you don’t fire them. But they are taking up the place of an angel.”
Another one where I don’t know the source, but dang, this is another true one!
5. “There are four kinds of beauty: heart, mind, soul, and body. Of these three, only one gets worse as you age, no matter what you do. Invest your time accordingly.”
This is one of my own mantras. I say this to myself every time I worry about my appearance, which is a lot considering the society we all live in. I say this to remind myself to spend equal time concerning my heart, mind, and soul.
4. “All that is gold does not glister.”
And yes, JRR Tolkien wrote glister, not glitter. Great quote, and THE LORD OF THE RINGS is the best book in the history of ever.
3. “Come to my arms, my beamish boy! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!’ He chortled in his joy.”
From the poem JABBERWOCKY by Lewis Carrol. There really is no better way to celebrate a moment while ensuring everyone stares at you like you’re nuts.
2. “Oh please don’t go! Well eat you up, we love you so!”
From WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE by Maurice Sendak. In the same vein as JABBERWOCKY, this is a great way and get someone not to leave a party, especially if you’ve had a few drinks.
1. “May the hair on your toes never fall out.”
Hobbit toast. Appropriate for all occasions.
So there you have it, my top ten quotes for all occasions! Thanks for having me stop by and blog—I look forward to seeing you again at my next launch!
Crowned (Beholder, #4)
by Christina Bauer
Genre: Paranormal, Young Adult
Release Date: November 28, 2017
Synopsis: Beauty. Romance. Power. It’s all in the eye of the BEHOLDER.
At last, Elea has found the love of her life. Unfortunately, the evil Tsar Viktor is about to unleash an army of twisted mages bent on killing everyone Elea cares about… including the man who’s stolen her heart.
So what’s a powerful witch to do? Why, organize a league of magical warriors, of course!
Elea recruits and trains a fighting force to take down the Tsar. That’s challenge enough, but on the eve of battle, Elea realizes that her true enemies may be far more powerful than even Viktor: The deities Oni and Yuri could be out to destroy her as well. With major battles brewing on two fronts, Elea’s not sure that she’ll win, but with true love to inspire her, she’s certainly ready to fight.
Enter the Giveaway!a Rafflecopter giveaway